__________ RESEARCH HISTORY __________

Thanks to the earthworks, this place has been well known locally since the Early Middle Ages. Records of it in the professional literature go back to the early 20th century.

The first excavation was carried out already before the First World War. In 1957 the Carpathian Archaeological Expedition, led by Andrzej Żaki, made a survey study. Another expedition, headed by Antoni Kunysz, examined the site in 1962.

These investigations concerned the Early Mediaeval Slavonic stronghold, although it was pointed out already then that artefacts from other, prehistoric periods were present on the site.

But it was not until the artefacts discovered at that time were later verified, on the basis of results obtained in the 1980’s in Carpathian archaeology, that they were identified (by M. Parczewski) as belonging to a Pleszów group of the Mierzanowice Culture, and (by J. Gancarski) to the Trzciniec and Otomani-Fuzesabony Cultures from the incipient Bronze Age (2100-1350 BC).

In 1991 and 1993-1997 new excavations were conducted under the leadership of J. Gancarski, and the results were spectacular. Trzcinica became a key European site, important for the understanding of the beginnings of the Bronze Age in this part of Europe. It was one of the major arcaheological discoveries in Poland. The research was interdisciplinary, carried out by a team of experts from many fields of scholarship.

Soil analyses were conducted, along with geomorphological, palaeobotanical, osteological, archaeo-zoological, metalographic, dendrochronological, radiocarbon, and petrographic examinations.

Around 160 thousand artefacts of various kinds were discovered here. The hinterland of the stronghold is being examined as well. The research has been financed by the Conservation Officer for Archaeological Monuments, the Polish Committee for Scientific Research, and private sponsors. The leader of the research team was Jan Gancarski, who at the time was employed in the Jasło regional museum, later in the history museum located in Dukla Mansion, and is currently director of the Sub-Carpathian Museum, Krosno. He is compiling a report and catalogue of the artefacts discovered.                               -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Text source :  http://www.muzeum.krosno.pl/troja/angielski/historia.htm